the Urban Forest

Future Ecologies is an attempt to think land, non-humans, humans, water, science fiction, environments, futures, & struggle anew.

Our goal is to develop forward-thinking understanding and action on these topics in ways that align with & alter our collective values. We're interested in having members connect through collaborative projects like workshops, essays, zines, performances, and discussions.
diversifiedbonds

the Urban Forest

Post by diversifiedbonds » 25 Sep 2018 21:35

Some references from an urban forestry talk given by an urban ecologist:

1. Rambunctious Garden by Emma Marris -- about novel systems/novel ecologies
2. The Future of Nostalgia by Svetlana Boym -- about the role nostalgia has in shaping people’s ideas of the future
3. Shadows of a Sunbelt City by Eliot Trettor -- about the racial policies and land use histories that have shaped Austin’s social dynamics
4. City in a Garden by Andrew Bush -- about environmental justice and racial policies in Austin
5. Austin’s Urban Forest Master plan, which can be found here: https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/defau ... ndices.pdf
6. This is one that I did not mention but is a fabulous book: Urban Forests by Jill Jones. A great overview of urban forest history in the US
7. And (last one): The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben -- about the communication networks between trees that use fungi to direct water, nutrients and toxic signals between trees.

diversifiedbonds

Re: the Urban Forest

Post by diversifiedbonds » 25 Sep 2018 21:39

I particularly liked the idea of novel ecologies as a way of describing where we are.

lukas

Post by lukas » 29 Sep 2018 14:37

This is rad. What was the talk about? How did the speaker describe "novel ecologies" ? Not sure what's implied by that.

Does the urban forest feel "connected" from the street-level?

Also, LOVE the 3D map from 1887 in the Austin Urban Forest plan. So beautiful. (Made me think of this: https://kottke.org/18/09/making-useful- ... ional-maps)

mauricem

Post by mauricem » 06 Nov 2018 17:09

Love both of those maps. I have such a thing for isometric mapping in general, from chinese scroll painting traditions to 2.5d RTS games. Both plans and sections are useful for forcing you to think of certain considerations while planning, but i really don't think anything beats an isometric map in actually describing a landscape while describing spatial relations.

The Future of Nostalgia also looks super interesting. Makes me think of how my desires for/images of the future are rooted in what scifi i consumed as a kid.

Is there any footage of that urban forestry talk?