Introduce Yourself

Future Ecologies is an attempt to think land, non-humans, humans, water, science fiction, environments, futures, & struggle anew.

Our goal is to develop forward-thinking understanding and action on these topics in ways that align with & alter our collective values. We're interested in having members connect through collaborative projects like workshops, essays, zines, performances, and discussions.
lukas

Introduce Yourself

Post by lukas » 23 Aug 2018 15:30

Hello—

If you're joining Future Ecologies, we'd love to hear:
- where you're coming from
- what you're looking to get out of this space

lukas

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by lukas » 23 Aug 2018 15:36

I'll go:

My name is Lukas, I'm one of the Learning Gardens janitors. I'm just starting graduate school in civil engineering and have a geographer mom who taught me to always look at landscape as a text. I also love land art and see climate science, ecology, landscape architecture, sculpture, and civil engineering as totally intertwined.

I'm interested in developing a "geographic practice" (small-scale land art? or just enjoying particular geographies?) and writing more about the experience of contemporary landscape.

tristanrodman

Post by tristanrodman » 24 Aug 2018 19:12

hi all!

i'm tristan, a musician and angeleno. i have a project called simulcast that uses music to plumb the connection between grief and urban infrastructure. i'm here to read and to listen, to share perspectives and orient myself towards a future that looks a little more comfortable for everyone.

diversifiedbonds

Post by diversifiedbonds » 24 Aug 2018 23:18

hello future ecologists —

curious urbanite interested in permaculture, ancestral technologies, traditional processes, and pragmatic integration with modern society and our ecosystems.

i've helped start community gardens, lightly worked on land projects, and organized an agriculture technology group.

over the past couple of years, i've realized it's not enough, and i've been more speculatively thinking about what a fully-formed practice looks like. hope to speculate with you all here!

mauricem

Post by mauricem » 25 Aug 2018 16:11

Hey y'all!

My name is Maurice. I just really love landscapes. I think that thinking land might be a way to escape the kind of unintentional dualisms/Nisms that come out of various object-based ontologies, and I'm really interested in some indigenous relations to/understandings of the non-human in that regard. I also love sci fi, and i feel like there is a direct link to be found between the various becomings-animal of making a life in the woods, and the becomings-machine of life in a cybernetic world. I'm also tryna act on some radical emancipatory politics :twisted:

Looking forward to getting to know y'all better!

robertogreco

Post by robertogreco » 28 Aug 2018 03:58

Hi, folks. I’m Rob, a longtime school teacher. I am here because of my interests in social justice, horizontality, interdependence, unschooling, learning networks/communities, the “more than human,” solarpunk, permaculture, Slow movements, the resurgence of interest in animism, cities, public transportation, and how all of that (and more) might relate to addressing inequality and climate change.

mauricem

Post by mauricem » 30 Aug 2018 23:14

Yeah animism really does seem to be having a moment huh? I’m curious what it means. Like does object oriented ontology have a hand in that? Or maybe monotheism is just in its final final death throes lol

cosmicegg

Post by cosmicegg » 03 Sep 2018 10:42

Hey, I'm Pap, been reading about system dynamics and how it played out in ecology in the 70s, and generally interested in affective, grass root social movements tackling climate change. Living far away from the states but care about this enough to wanna jump in the convo. Hoping to learn and grow!

lukas

Post by lukas » 10 Sep 2018 03:37

I feel like the "moment" (quoting mauricem) of (broadly interpreted) animism right now is driven by new research/publications in the nature of plant biology, as well as all-time-high levels of "vegan" awareness, a desire to give things outside of just humans sets of moral ethics, respect, space.

Here's a relatively old (2002!) Cabinet Article: http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/6/cox.php

And here's a 2017 article, of a scholarly sort, on a process that, at the public science level, at least, raises questions about what "consciousness" is! https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007 ... 017-3862-z

lukas

Post by lukas » 12 Sep 2018 16:16

To those here—please, feel free to start a thread ("topic") in the forum on a topic you'd like to discuss!
Are you thinking about nonhuman cognition?
Ecology as an ontology?
Transboundary water conflicts?
Anthropocene landscapes?

Bring up an idea, ask a question... we all need to do a little legwork to get some momentum going here! :!: